My name's Justin, and I'm a Buddhist. I take bits from Hindu, and Taoist philosophy as well though. I blog about religion, politics, philosophy, and whatever else I feel like blogging about. I've grown a lot over the years, but I'm still far from where I want to be. If you have any questions then ask away! Don't be shy.
1. Wants to repeal Roe V. Wade; that is significant because it would give jurisdiction back to the states. He would not be proposing a federal BAN on abortion he just sees it as something the states should have jurisdiction over and that is significant because he is also a constitutionalists. He would be giving the people of different states the right to chose and vote on whether abortion should be legal in their state or not because it is indeed a state power. The people of America have very diverse views on the subject so it would actually satisfy the people once all the laws get set. It would appeal to people of Pro-Choice and Anti-Choice, although he supports life and would make an act stating life begins at conception it would not infringe on the states right to decide. What he is doing is actually enforcing the liberty of the people by power of decision.
2. Cut taxes on corporate businesses; At first this may seem like a horrible idea and that he is Pro-Businesses however whenever you really examine the reasons why he would like to do that it becomes quite simple why he would want this. He would cut taxes on businesses because with a smaller government it would reduce the prices of goods and because of that it would help spur economic growth. He wants to have a small government so he will be able to slash taxes. Whenever the prices of business goods go down and the income of the family goes up the economy will slowly rise that is why he wants to cut businesses taxes.
3. Remove the FDA and FTC; I would be incredibly happy if the FDA were removed because it is corrupt as ever. The FDA is not for the consumers it is in for the money. It would be incredibly easy to pay off the FDA to allow some type of sweetener or such that is harmful to the human health. There is actually recorded instances where the FDA has allowed harmful substances into our food/water. Not only that but a lot of our protein shakes and dietary supplements aren’t regulated by the FDA and a decent amount of them have anabolic steroids in them.(on record). Therefore the FDA isn’t nearly as reliable as people think it is. As for the FTC, that is corrupt as well, the same things can happen with the FDA, the businesses can pay them off or they can ignore fraud checks all together. The FTC ought to be replaced with something more reliable that will give the consumer a more fair chance in the free market.
4. Repeal the Brady bill and allow pilots to carry firearms; This would be huge for the constitutionalists and the libertarians, for it would strengthen gun rights and allow pilots a better way to defend themselves in case they would need it. The Brady bill does not effectively protect people from getting guns for there are numerous ways to get around it. All it would take is a spouse or of age child or relative or friend to buy a gun for someone. The access is still nearly as easy and the bill is also unfair because people who want to get a gun but have had a accidental homicide by vehicle over 15 years prior are not able to get a gun that has nothing to do with gun violence or intentional violence of any sort can not buy one because of that. However someone can walk off the street and buy a gun and easily slaughter countless people, also anyone can buy a gun illegally and do the same. Therefore the Brady bill is simply unconstitutional the way it was enforced, that is why Ron Paul does not support the Brady bill.
5. Wants to end birthright citizenship; I am not sure how he would institute this or the exact credentials but as long as he does it in a way that allows the naturalization process to be quick and easy then it should not be a problem for people with U.S parents. Just because you are born somewhere does not mean you are a citizen, it should be something everyone has to earn for it shows you have adapt knowledge for adequate competent citizenship. Everyone is born equally, so they should have to all take the same tests(unless they have a handicap of some sort obviously). Therefore one can now see the scope of why Paul would want to end birthright citizenship and as long as he can institute it in the right way then I believe it can be successful.
6. Repeal Obama-care; This to me is unconstitutional because it really does not do much for the American people. It is not the nations job to give the people healthcare, they do not have a “right” to healthcare. They are entitled to health and longevity. It all depends on how they achieve those means. Obama-care makes the federal government bigger which means more taxes and more control over the American people. The bigger the government the more regulation and more socialist it becomes. It is not other Americans job to pay for others in the form of welfare, medicaid or medicare. A better solution would be charity such as an option to get money taken out of your paycheck to help those. Taking money from one group and giving it to another through force is stealing, health care should be affordable like it was whenever medicaid and medicare were not around. If we can shrink our government and cut taxes to be a more free market society then people will be able to afford healthcare with our individual liberties intact. Also this is straight from his site about Obama-care,
“Repeal ObamaCare and end its unconstitutional mandate that all Americans must carry only government-approved health insurance or answer to the IRS.”
7. Exempt those with illness from payroll an deducting payroll for caregivers of the terminally ill; This is also incredibly important and I will first give you the direct words from his site,
“Exempt those with terminal illnesses from the employee portion of payroll taxes while they are suffering from such illnesses or are incurring significant medical costs associated with their conditions. Give a payroll deduction to any worker who is the primary caregiver for a spouse, parent, or child with a terminal illness.”
The importance of this is that it will exempt people with cancer and other terminal illnesses from the employee taxes, and anyone who is the primary caregiver for the terminally ill. This is not unconstitutional in anyway because under Ron Paul he and his charitable friends will be the one supporting the medical costs and not other taxpayers. Those who are terminally ill deserve a tax break in order to pay for their medical costs. It would be different if others were paying for him and he was given another tax break then that would be unconstitutional. There isn’t much to say on the subject other then what has been stated.
8. Opposes the PATRIOT act and the NDAA(or the martial law act as some call it); Some people misinterpret Ron Paul as supporting the NDAA because he did not vote against it however he was campaigning at the time so he had no time to vote on the issue. There are numerous instances where he has voiced his opposition to both acts as they are unconstitutional and take away our rights. They strip up slowly of our personal liberties that all are born with. The PATRIOT act allows the government to spy on us in anyway they see pretty much and the NDAA allows the government to detain any US citizen indefinitely and even send them to Guantanamo Bay(which Ron Paul opposes) as long as they only “SUSPECT” they are a terrorist. There is nothing more to say as the blatant infringing of personal liberties are plain and simple. The big government spenders and presidents are curbing our liberties for their own mistakes and that is incredibly distasteful.